Lesser Things
Jun. 5th, 2026 08:26 am
I recently spent around $25 to purchase what would have been referred to as a “transistor radio” in my youth. I remember the fight between my mother and my father when he came home from a military “trip” with what was at the time one of these rare creatures. I remember the “discussion” that ensued concerning the exorbitant cost (If I remember correctly it was around $50 in the ‘50’s). But I always thought that it was very, very cool and when my Dad got tired of it, it migrated into my bedroom and resided there for years.
Now, if you are paying far too much attention to these scribblings, you might have noticed that lately that the “Current Music” at the bottom of a post has skewed toward classical of late. That is because Portland has a great classical station and I have been discovering just how little I know of the breadth of classical music. I listen to it on the radio as a reversion to the habits of my youth. Though I do use their website to cut and paste title and composer from their website (I could listen there as well, they stream everything).
I suppose that current obsession has to do with my increased paranoia concerning the way that I am plumbed into the world. I realize that I won’t be able to fully disconnect, but I would very much like to figure out the ways that the tendrils can be reduced (I will state here firmly that they can’t be eliminated) and I am trying to figure out how to stop new ones from forming.
But this may well be a quixotic quest. I have no intention of pulling a Kaczynski, but I do want to pull pretty far away from the beast that the world has become. But this distance will necessarily come at the expense of what is desired by the powers-that-be.
déjà entendu (back in my day)
Date: 2026-06-06 09:12 am (UTC)Hm. Classical music would be KCUR and WDET and KQED and the Metropolitan Opera broadcasts. Now I miss my little transistor radio, too! As well as the hand-crank emergency one that had shortwave... but here, if the power goes out, we are sunk.